We are enjoying the fall weather and hope you are too!
Speaking of Fall, FALL FEST IS THIS WEEKEND!!!
Come to O’Reillys this Saturday night (11/3) and have fun with other MMS parents, all while supporting your MMS HSA! Enjoy delicious bar food, cash bar and fun friends. It’s sure to be a great night! Click here to order your tickets!
We are also still in full outreach for our Membership Drive and No Frills Fundraiser, please consider joining and donating if you have not already. To learn more about your MMS HSA, how to get involved, or to donate,PLEASE click here!
A Few Key Dates:
11/3 Fall Fest -Parents/Guardians Night Out @ O’Reilly’s
11/6 No School - Staff Development
11/8 No school - NJEA Convention
11/9 No school - NJEA Convention
11/21 7th Grade Block Party
We would love to hear more from you. See below for ways to give us your feedback;
- About your Student? Each month the Board of Education recognizes students who have done something extraordinary. We would love to hear about what your student is doing and make sure recognition is given. We know there are more students to recognize, don’t be shy! If you know a student who deserves recognition - in or out of school - please contact Principal Gronau at email@example.com.
- About MMS? Do you have a positive story about MMS or the Principal and staff? We’d love to hear them and post on our Facebook page. We are so excited with all of the terrific feedback we’ve been hearing since school started and thought it would be fun to share some of the stories with the rest of the MMS community! Please send to Deb or Sara at: firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com.
November 13 - 8th grade photos, club photos, faculty photos
November 14 - make-up photos
Visiting Mentor Program
Thanks to everyone who has been in touch with Rachel Fisher! The MMS HSA is compiling a list of Visiting Mentors: individuals who will talk to middle school students about their work and/or how they apply math, science, language arts and fine arts skills in their professions. We are creating a list that will be available to MMS teachers so they can invite community members into their classrooms to share their stories and expertise.
If your work involves math, science, language arts skills and/or the arts – or an interesting combination of these areas - and you can imagine turning that work into a lesson or speaking with middle schoolers about it, please contact us at MMSHSAinfo@gmail.com!
Let us know your name, profession or skill, what classes you see yourself working with (math, science, social studies, music, etc), cell phone number and email. We will add you to the spreadsheet and then you may hear from an MMS teacher! This is a first-time effort, so let’s make ourselves available to our community’s kids and see what happens! Thank you MMS Families.
MLKA Club and MMS Step Team
Interested in joining the MLKA Club? Did you know MMS had a new Step Team? See Ms. Ogando in room 18. The Club meets every Thursday at 3:15pm. Click here for more info.
MMS Library Volunteers Needed!
I know you all are wondering what goes not over in the mysterious land of MMS...well here is your chance to get a little sneak peek into middle school. You will not be working in your child's class like in the elementary schools but just helping out in the library in general. Mr. Degnan needs the most help during his MMS investigates class (highlighted in blue on the schedule). This is a cool class that he teaches and would love a parent to be there to do some projects, filing, man the desk and just be an extra set of eyes and hands. He would love whatever time whenever you can give it but if you can make the MMS Investigates class time that would even be better! Just type in your name in the spot that you can volunteer. Please do not delete anyone's name that is already there.
Library signup https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/170PmsHyDvQG9S2c0e0YJB1y4IMTWJmWplKnPRzvcSV8/edit#gid=1195897959
Questions? Contact Ms. O'Sullivan (firstname.lastname@example.org) 11/1 & 11/2 will be the first two days of Stage Crew auditions. For most info visit the musical webpage, https://sites.google.com/site/mmsmusical/
Special Ed Update
Upcoming Family Support Group meetings,all meetings at the BOE Building, 525 Academy St unless otherwise noted:
- Screen Smart Kids: October 29 - Are you considering giving your child their first smart phone? or have you recently? Learn how to work together with your child to set up a ‘cell phone contract’ that best suits your family’s needs. Screen Smart Kids is a support group for parents who are interested in exploring the ways in which technology, smart phones and social media are impacting their kids’ developing minds. This group will equip families to best address the challenges of our technology immersive culture. Questions? Contact Claire Kaplan email@example.com or Stephanie Bourgeois
- Navigating the Middle School Years- Cliques, Squads , Bullying & More Nov 5, 7:30-9 (First Monday of each month) Parents will discuss and practice with the School Social Worker and School Nurse how to take care of their children, themselves, and each other as they parent teens in Middle School. We’ll explore strategies on how to support, guide, and direct children to succeed in Middle School - to be ready to face the day and have enough resilience to get through it. Questions? Please contact Eric Stoudemire, MMS School Social Worker firstname.lastname@example.org or Julie Porter, MMS School Nursejporter@somsd.k12.nj.us
You should have received an email from the district Friday detailing the process for the Superintendent Search. For more information please click here
Tissues and School Store
We mentioned on our News on Waffles segment to be on the lookout for TISSUES. It’s already been a busy season of allergies and colds. If you are at the store and can pick up some extra boxes, the MMS staff would greatly appreciate it! The student council runs a school store and accepts donations, please make sure to send in food allergy compliant snacks. They even have an Amazon Wishlist if getting to the store is too hectic.Click Here for MMS School Store’s Amazon Wishlist
No Frills and Fundraising
MMS HSA raises funds through an ongoing No Frills fundraiser, Money Maker (Host your own, seed your own) initiatives, Adults only Trivia Night, and other grade specific events during the school year. Without the support of families, we would not be able to provide the supplemental support to the students and staff. To donate now Click Here.
Parent’s and Guardian’s Night Out - Please save the date for our Fall Fest, an Adult Night Out at O’Reilly’s on November 3rd. Join us for a low key, FUNdraiser to help support our school - and have some delicious wings while you are at it. Buy your tickets today Click here for more info
Discover innovative products for a healthy home & earn money for Maplewood Middle School!
MightyNest's dual mission is to help families create healthy homes AND raise money for each customer's school. Every product, including reusable lunch gear, body care, cleaning supplies, kitchenwares and more, was handpicked to help families live healthy lives. To get started, simply join our school fundraiser here then choose your membership type. All members receive Free Shipping and up to 30% off hundreds of MightyNest's durable, safe products. The best part is that you will raise money for our school every month.
The most popular membership is the MightyFix. For $10/month you'll receive one amazing product each month that helps your family live healthier and greener while earning $1 each month for our school. The product is always worth more than $10 retail, ships free and you also get free shipping on anything else you add to your MightyFix.
- Get your first month of the MightyFix for only $5 when you use promo code SCHOOLFIX5
- New members who signup for the annual MightyFix subscription earn an extra $8 for our school during the first year, for a total of $20 to our school! If you use the promo code SCHOOLFIX5 you can get a bonus two months free with an annual subscription.
- Our school must earn $100 by May 31st to earn our payout check, so the sooner you sign up, the better for our school!
Varsity Orchestras through the South Orange Maplewood Adult School!
Don’t miss this chance for your young musician to make music with their peers in an encouraging, inclusive and inspiring environment, led by talented and engaging instructors who have deep experience working with children. Designed to augment the school music instruction, our orchestras allow young musicians to develop their musical talent, experience being part of an ensemble, learn about music theory, grow friendships with other young musicians, and perform at our twice-yearly concerts. Orchestras meet one evening a week at Columbia High School. Register online at the SOMAS website.
Deb Holt & Sara Knutsen
MMS HSA Co-Presidents 2018-2019