****THE PRINCIPAL’S CORNER****
Please click HERE for this week’s message from Ms. Gronau.
SPIRIT WEEK: It’s Spirit Week at MMS! Check out the schedule and encourage your kids to get involved:
- Monday, 6/12 is Mismatched Monday: Wear your crazy outfits or get dressed in the dark!
- Tuesday, 6/13 is Career Day: Dress to represent a career - maybe a stethoscope or football jersey? It'd be great to see some students in MMS faculty shirts!
- Wednesday, 6/14 is Character Day: Dress or represent your favorite character from a tv show, movie, book, musical, or anything else!
- Thursday, 6/15 is Throwback Thursday: Wear an outfit from another decade or a retro sports jersey!
- Friday, 6/16 is Battle of the Classes! (Class Color Day): Wear red, white, and black to represent MMS! Want to represent a specific grade? 6th = white, 7th = black, 8th = red
- Teachers get in on the fun of Spirit Week too: Each teacher who participates in Spirit Week earns 6 points for their grade. Related Arts teachers or other multi-grade teachers can split their points between the three grades as they wish. There will also be a Spirit Week Teacher Raffle each day courtesy of Student Council and your HSA.
- Canned Goods & Nonperishable Items -- Local pantries rely on our end of year collection so please support if you can!
- Box Tops -- Send them in labeled for what grade; they can be put in the main office or given to Ms. O'Sullivan.
- Penny Wars -- Bring in your spare change to defeat the other grades!
- Drink plenty of fluids before school to get ahead of their hydration needs. In addition, send them with a water bottle from home.
- Dress appropriately. Lightweight, loose-fitting clothing helps sweat evaporate and keeps you cooler. Avoid dark colors, which can absorb heat.
- Wear sunscreen. Sunburn decreases your body's ability to cool itself (and increases the risk of skin cancer).
MARION BLUMENTHAL LAZAN: Thanks in part to a generous donation from your HSA, Ms. Marion Blumenthal Lazan will be speaking to our 6th grade students on WEDNESDAY, JUNE 14th about her powerful story of survival as a child of the Holocaust.
LYRICISTS’ LOUNGE: Take a step back in time to the 1990s when rappers, emcees, and DJs ruled the streets selling their hip hop mixtapes. Join us this THURSDAY, JUNE 15th from 6:30pm-8:30pm in the MMS library when 6th and 7th grade students showcase their fiercest flows and creative wordplay. This event is co-sponsored by your HSA and Flocabulary, a learning program for all grades that uses educational hip-hop music to engage students and increase achievement across the curriculum. Mr. Michael Berezny, a 7th grade Math teacher, was awarded the Achieve Grant that allowed all MMS teachers and students to access this program. WE ARE ACCEPTING DESSERT DONATIONS FOR THIS EVENT -- if you can contribute please reach out to your HSA. We hope to see you there!
POETRY GRAMMYS: The spectacular 7th grade Poetry Grammys will take place on FRIDAY, JUNE 16th from 9:30am-11:30am in the MMS auditorium. If you have a kid who’s performing, please feel free to show up and watch!
SELLING TICKETS TO THE 8th GRADE DINNER DANCE: Please click HERE to sign up to help sell tickets to the 8th grade dinner dance during the 8th grade lunch period. Thank you for your help!
8th GRADE DINNER DANCE: The 8th grade dinner dance is TUESDAY, JUNE 20th from 6:30pm-9:30pm at the Maplewood Country Club. Please click HERE for an important letter from the school regarding the event and HEREfor the permission slip.
REMINDER REGARDING ATTENDANCE ON JUNE 20th: 8th grade families, please see the following message from the 8th grade team leaders: “The 8th Grade Dinner Dance, the evening of June 20th, will be a very exciting event. We wish to see all children there. In order to attend the party, students must be in school the entire day. In the event that MMS students are attending their sibling's move up ceremony at another school, please email a team leader or administrator with details in order for your child to be excused for the ceremony. Students are permitted to wear head coverings in order to preserve hair styles that day. This is a 12:30 dismissal school day."
YEARBOOK DISTRIBUTION SCHEDULE: Please let your students know when to pick you their yearbooks: On MONDAY, JUNE 19th, 8th graders who have pre-ordered yearbooks or who would like to purchase a copy can come after school to room 283. Extra copies have been ordered but supplies are limited and will be distributed on a first come, first served basis. STUDENTS MUST HAVE $30 CASH AT TIME OF PURCHASE IF THEY DID NOT PRE-ORDER. On TUESDAY, JUNE 20th, 6th graders who pre-ordered yearbooks will receive their copy during field day. 7th graders who pre-ordered yearbooks or any 7th or 6th grader who wish to purchase a copy can come after school to room 283. Again, supplies are limited and purchase requires $30 cash at the time of pick-up.
6th GRADE FIELD DAY: More info to come this week about 6th grade field day on TUESDAY, JUNE 20th. Students are welcome to bring sports equipment they’d like to use outside.
6th AND 7th GRADE POOL PARTIES: Permission slips and info come out this week for the pool parties -- 7th grade goes to the Maplewood Pool on TUESDAY, JUNE 20th and 6th grade goes on WEDNESDAY, JUNE 21st. Please start thinking about pick-up arrangements for your students these days: dismissal both days is 12:30pm directly from the pool and kids may walk home or get a ride. Carpooling is encouraged as the parking lot can fill up quickly.
HELP WITH 8th GRADE MOVING UP: Our 8th graders move up on THURSDAY, JUNE 22nd and we need the help of 6th and 7th grade families to make it a special event for our graduates! Please click HERE for the Sign Up Genius to donate cash, food, or time to the final event of the school year. Thank you so much!
Whew! There you have it. The storm before the calm. Have a good one!
Kathleen Bailie & Alan Stephenson
your MMS HSA Co-Presidents