We hope you had a lovely weekend! Thank you so much to our parents and volunteers who made the 8th grade mixer with SOMS such a success - especially our 8th grade coordinators Thea Cogan-Drew and Adrianna Donat! A great time was had by all!
Calling All Volunteers!
Thank you so much to all of you who’ve reached out and volunteered to be a part of the 2019-2020 MMS HSA! We are still looking to fill some roles, so if you’ve been on the fence, please reach out - we are happy to answer any questions you may have.The MMS HSA is a great way to get involved in the school and know what’s happening. It’s a great group of parents and the commitment is not overwhelming! If you or anyone else you know wants to get involved, please reach out! email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org.
We have updated key dates and a few new ones for 8th grade families - please take a read. We would love to see you at the community events!
A Few Key Dates:
- Tuesday, March 26 - 4 hr day
- Wednesday, March 27 - 8th grade band concert & Honors wind ensemble (details HERE)
- Monday, April 1 - Well-wishers orders for yearbook due
- April 4 - Author visit to MMS - Kwame Alexander!
- Monday, April 15 - Yearbook orders due
- April 15 - 19 - SPRING BREAK
- Thursday, May 16 - School in Action - Save the date
- Tuesday, March 12 CHS Counselors come to MMS to speak to students
- Monday, March 18 Half of 8th grade class to visit CHS from 9:30-11:30
- Thursday, March 21 Second Half of 8th grade class to visit CHS from 9:30-11:30
- Monday, April 1 Well-wishers orders for yearbook due
- Monday, April 15 Yearbook orders due
- Wednesday, May 8 8th Grade Night at CHS, 6:30-8:30pm
- Thursday, May 23 Field trip to Medieval Times in Lyndhurst, NJ - Permission slips coming home soon
- Tuesday, June 18 8th Grade Dinner Dance at Maplewood Country Club
- Friday, June 21- Last Day of School, pending snow days. 8th Grade Moving Up Ceremony, 9am* (This date subject to change based on last day of school and snow days)
On April 4, Newberry Award-winning author will be visiting MMS with Kip Wilson as a part of his Versify Tour! A special thanks to Library Media Specialist Evyn Degnan for organizing. Please click HERE for more information and to purchase BOOKS!
- 8th Grade
- March Match Fundraiser! 8th grade activities can get expensive -- that’s why we have a March Match program for the 8th grade. For every dollar you donate, a group of 8th grade parents will match it up to $500! Please click HERE for a “no frills 8th grade donation” that could raise at least $1,000 for our 8th graders in need!
- ALSO, If anyone would like to host an 8th grade fundraiser, we would be most grateful. Last year some families raised significant funds with a small event. OR - you can donate directly to the 8th grade fund HERE.
- No Frills / Still Time to Donate! MMS HSA raises funds through an ongoing No Frills fundraiser, Money Maker (Host your own, seed your own) initiatives, Adults only Trivia Night, and other grade specific events during the school year. Without the support of families, we would not be able to provide the supplemental support to the students and staff. To donate now Click Here
March 11 - The Impact of Social Media on Kids, a conversation with Lauren Muriello. Find out what research says about the impact of social media on kids’ brains and tips on how to parent in today’s social media world. Please see flyer HERE
April 1 - Back by popular demand...Screenagers! This film looks at the dangers of too much screen use and the need for families to discuss its place in their lives. This movie is great for grades 3 and up, so please parents, grandparents, caregivers, and kids come and view... guaranteed to open a great dialogue. Please see flyer HERE
15 On the Road to Freedom presented by The Parenting Center
On March 25, The Parenting Center presents an incredible musical experience at Columbia High School. 15 On the Road to Freedom tells the story of the Selma Voting Rights March from 15 year old Lynda Blackmon Lowry’s perspective. There will be a Q&A with the cast after the performance. For more information please see flyer HERE.
8th Grade Band and Honors Wind Ensemble Concert
Wednesday, March 27. Please join us at 7:30 for a joint concert with the 8th Grade Band, Honors Wind Ensemble and the Maplewood Concert Band. For more information, please click HERE.
Yearbooks and Well Wisher Ads Order Information
Yearbooks: Order your yearbooks now, orders end on April 15, 2019. Details here: Yearbook Order Form
Well Wishers Ads: If you’d like to place an ad for your child, orders are due on April 1, 2019. Details here: Well Wishers Info
Bathroom beautification has been postponed. Please check back for a new date!
Tissues and School Store Need Supplies
PLEASE DONATE IF YOU CAN! I know I said we have enough, but we never have enough. Tissues are always in demand! Please consider sending your sniffling child back to school in the new year with a new box for their homeroom. Also, The student council also runs a school store and accepts donations, please make sure to send in food allergy compliant snacks. They even have an Amazon Wishlist if getting to the store is too hectic. Click Here for MMS School Store’s Amazon Wishlist
Special Ed Update
We are looking for an HSA Special Ed Representative for next year’s board. If you are interested, please contact Kiersten Carlson-Williams at email@example.com.
Next SEPAC meeting: March 27, 7:30-9PM, BOE Building, 525 Academy St:
The main focus of the March meeting is support for Out of District families, more details to follow. All are welcome.
Also coming up in March at the BOE Building:
- March 18 Special Siblings 4:00-5:30 PM Youth led support group, with Laura Reichgut LCW, for siblings (Grades 5-8) of people with special needs, drop off, snacks provided.
- March 19 Selective Mutism Parent Group 7-8:30 PM
- March 20 ADD/ADHD Parent Group 7:30-9PM
- March 25 Screen Smart Kids 7-8:30
MMS Library Volunteers needed!
I know you all are wondering what goes not over in the mysterious land of MMS...well here is your chance to get a little sneak peek into middle school. You will not be working in your child's class like in the elementary schools but just helping out in the library in general. Mr. Degnan needs the most help during his MMS investigates class (highlighted in blue on the schedule). This is a cool class that he teaches and would love a parent to be there to do some projects, filing, man the desk and just be an extra set of eyes and hands. He would love whatever time whenever you can give it but if you can make the MMS Investigates class time that would even be better! Just type in your name in the spot that you can volunteer. Please do not delete anyone's name that is already there. Library signup https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/170PmsHyDvQG9S2c0e0YJB1y4IMTWJmWplKnPRzvcSV8/edit#gid=1195897959
Visiting Mentor Program
Thanks to everyone who has been in touch with Rachel Fisher! The MMS HSA is compiling a list of Visiting Mentors: individuals who will talk to middle school students about their work and/or how they apply math, science, language arts and fine arts skills in their professions. We are creating a list that will be available to MMS teachers so they can invite community members into their classrooms to share their stories and expertise. If your work involves math, science, language arts skills and/or the arts – or an interesting combination of these areas - and you can imagine turning that work into a lesson or speaking with middle schoolers about it, please contact us at MMSHSAinfo@gmail.com!
Let us know your name, profession or skill, what classes you see yourself working with (math, science, social studies, music, etc), cell phone number and email. We will add you to the spreadsheet and then you may hear from an MMS teacher! This is a first-time effort, so let’s make ourselves available to our community’s kids and see what happens! Thank you MMS Families.
Please click here for a link to this month’s Digital Backpack -- lots of great information and resources on what’s happening for kids in our community!
South Orange Activities
Please see the links below to the many activities that South Orange offers to residents of both South Orange and Maplewood.
- South Orange 2019 Pickleball Spring & Summer
- South Orange Baseball 2019
- South Orange 2019 Tennis Spring & Summer
- South Orange 2019 Spring and Summer Sports USSI
Deb Holt & Sara Knutsen
MMS HSA Co-Presidents 2018-2019